The Fine Art Room August Social
– Frank Bowling at Tate Britain
Thursday 8 August, 9.45am onwards
*Exhibition ticket, travel and meal cost not included (see below for more info)
Image: Frank Bowling – Mirror (1966; Tate Presented by the artist, Rachel Scott, and their 4 children: Benjamin and Sacha Bowling, Marcia and Iona Scott 2013 © Frank Bowling. All Rights Reserved, DACS 2019)
Discover the work of Guyana-born, British based artist Frank Bowling in this major retrospective and encounter an artist whose career began with figurative-abstract records of his life in Swinging London before further experimentation in the studio led to a more abstract approach on a huge scale…
Working and studying alongside peers like David Hockney and R.B. Kitaj whilst at the Royal College of Art, Bowling made his mark with large-scale abstracts where paint is pushed to the extreme to create stunning, personal statements that use an array of painting techniques Aged 85, Bowling continues to paint daily.
Frank Bowling – Polish Rebecca (1971) Acrylic on canvas. Private Collection © Frank Bowling. All Rights Reserved, DACS 2019
Meeting in the morning, we will arrive at the exhibition at opening time allowing us to enjoy the exhibition before it gets too busy. We will spend the morning at the exhibition, or you may wish to visit / revisit the current Van Gogh in Britain exhibition, explore Mike Nelson‘s new installation or enjoy Tate Britain’s permanent collection before we meet again and go for lunch.
We will have lunch at 1pm at The White Swan, a pub around the corner from Tate Britain.
We will meet in the ticket hall at Pimlico station at 9.45am and then walk to Tate Britain (7 minute walk away).
The August Social is free. However, you will need to pay for:
- Your travel to and from Tate Britain (nearest Tube station Pimlico on the Victoria Line)
- Your exhibition ticket (see below)
- Your meal and drinks at the pub.
Your Exhibition ticket
– Tickets for the exhibition are on sale now and are timed entry tickets.
– Please buy your tickets for the 10am time slot to ensure first entry into the exhibition.
– Please let us know if you intend to come to the exhibition and lunch or just the lunch
– If you want to join us later in the morning, we can see you in the exhibition or afterwards at lunch – but please let us know you’re coming especially if you want to join us for lunch
– You can also join us for just the exhibition part of the event if you don’t want to come for lunch afterwards
- Members – Free
- Full Fee – £13
- Senior (aged 60+) + Concessions (Job Seeker with proof of eligibility registered disabled) – £12
- Art Fund – £6.50
Book your place
Places for the August Social are first come, first served.
Number of places: 15.
To book your place, please fill in the form below.