Art day out: Henry Moore Studios and Gardens, Perry Green, Hertfordshire + full studio day – COURSE FULL
Dates: Thursday 27 June (day out) + Saturday 29 June (studio day)
Time: 09:30-16:30 (Thursday) / 10:00-17:00 (Saturday)
Venue: Henry Moore Studios and Gardens – Perry Green, Hertfordshire + The Fine Art Room – Ealing Broadway (venue info below)
No of sessions: 2
No. of students: 11
Tutor: Mario Lautier Vella
Image above: Julian Osley
Take a trip to Perry Green and the Hertfordshire home, studios and gardens of the imminent British sculptor Henry Moore (1896-1986) – be inspired by his work and surroundings on special guided tours, plus a visit to the new exhibition, Henry Moore Drawings – The Art of Seeing. Then enjoy a full day in our studio where you can respond to your research from your day out.
Spread over 70 acres, enjoy time with Moore’s incredible outdoor sculptures plus take a trip around Moore’s family home and a look at his work spaces.
Our day out also includes the new drawing exhibition that features over 150 works from Moore’s archives as well as museums and private collections.
Henry Moore Studios and Gardens visit day / Thursday June 27 / 9.15am-4.30pm
Our course begins on Thursday 27 June when will meet at Liverpool Street station at 9.15am before getting the train to Bishops Stortford (approximately 40 minutes away). We will then get a mini-bus to the Henry Moore Foundation in Perry Green. Once there we will enjoy a guided tour of Hoglands, Moore’s former home before lunch around 12.45pm.
At 2pm, we will enjoy more guided tours around Henry Moore’s studios, gardens and the new Art of Seeing drawing exhibition.
Around 3.30pm, we’ll have time to do more research in the gardens or enjoy time in the café before we leave on our minibus at 4.30pm and head back to Bishops Stortford train station for our journey back to London.
Studio day / Saturday June 29 / 10am-5pm
On Saturday 29 June, enjoy an all-day studio session where you can respond to your research from your day out at the Henry Moore Studios and Gardens.
Your studio session will be from 10am-1pm and 2pm-5pm (your lunch break will be from 1pm-2pm); There will be two 20 minute breaks included during your morning and afternoon sessions.
Your venue for your studio day is The Fine Art Room – Ealing Broadway (see below for venue details).
- The course fee includes your return trip by minibus from Bishops Stortford station to the Henry Moore Studios and Gardens in Perry Green plus the special itinerary of all guided tours at the Henry Moore Studios and Gardens
- The course fee doesn’t include your travel to and from Liverpool Street, to and from Bishops Stortford or your lunch (to be paid for on the day)
- Your lunch choice must be booked in advance (more info provided once your booking has been confirmed) or you may choose to bring your own food
- Times may be subject to change due to delays out of our control
- The day will involve a lot of walking and being outdoors – only attend if you’re able to walk / stand for a long duration and prepared to be outdoors / sketch outdoors
- If you wish to do the course but want to make your own way to Perry Green, you will still be required to pay the full course fee – the course fee covers our minibus hire with view to all students using it to and from Bishops Stortford. No discounts are available on this occassion.
- Priority for places will be given to students who can attend both the visit and the studio day – if you only wish to do the Henry Moore studios and garden visit but not the Ealing studio day, please let us know and we’ll put you on the waiting list. Please do not turn up unannounced on the day.
Venue: The Fine Art Room – Ealing Broadway
Your studio day takes place at the Ealing Quaker Meeting House. The Ealing Quaker Meeting House is located at 17 Woodville Road, Ealing, London W5 2SE (see map)
The centre is approximately 5 minutes walk from Ealing Broadway Tube station (Central + District Lines, and mainline station 6 minutes journey to / from Paddington). Local bus routes: 65, 112, 207, 226, 297, 427, 483, 607, E1, E2, E7, E8, E9, E10 and E11. Bike racks are available to use on site.
There are some parking spaces available at the venue but these cannot be reserved / guaranteed. Parking restrictions are in place close to the venue. Paid parking is available at Ealing Broadway station and Ealing Broadway Shopping Centre (approximately 6 minutes walk away).
Course level: Intermediate / advanced; drawing and painting experience useful- if you’re a newcomer to art, we recommend you do our Learn to draw course first.
Course materials: You will need a sketchbook and a charged phone / camera to take photos whilst on the research trip. Basic materials provided for your studio day. Please email us for more info.
Your course tutor: Mario Lautier Vella is a qualified art tutor and professional cross-disciplinary artist, with drawing and painting including pastel work, being a key part of his practice. His work can be found in collections across the UK, Malta, the Netherlands, Australia, Canada and the USA. Find out more
Book your place
Fill in the form below to book your place or please get in touch with any questions you may have. Please read our course terms and conditions before booking.