The Fine Art Room July Social
– The newly reopened National Portrait Gallery + lunch
Friday July 21, 10.15am onwards
*Travel and meal cost not included (see below for more info)
Image: Unknown artist (possibly John Taylor) – William Shakespeare (1610). Known as the ‘Chandos Portrait’, this was the first painting to enter the National Portrait Gallery’s collection in 1856.
Join us for a morning visit to the newly reopened National Portrait Gallery followed by lunch at a local restaurant
Explore the newly reopened National Portrait Gallery. Closed for redevelopment since 2020, our visit will be an exciting opportunity to visit the newly designed site and enjoy an extensive rehang of the permanant collection that includes a wide variety of drawings, paintings and photographs in a host of new gallery spaces. There will be ample time to experience the whole collection as well as sketch in the space.
You may also want to visit the new paid-entry exhibitions:
- Paul McCartney Photographs 1963-64 Eyes of the Storm – more info
- Yevonde: Life and Colour – more info
After our visit to the gallery, there is the option to join us for lunch at the Cafe in the Crypt on St Martin’s Lane which is a short walk away from The National Portrait Gallery.
>> Find out more about the National Portrait Gallery
>> Find out more about the Cafe in the Crypt
We will meet outside the entrance to The National Portrait Gallery at 10.15 with view to entering the gallery from 10.30 onwards.
The Social is free. However, you will need to pay for:
- Your travel to and from The National Portrait Gallery (nearest Tube stations – Charing Cross; Leicester Square; Piccadilly Circus
- Your meal and drinks at the restaurant.
Your gallery ticket
– Tickets for the National Portrait Gallery are free but you’ll need to get your ticket in advance – more info will be sent to you once you’ve confirmed your place
– Please let us know if you intend to come to the exhibition and lunch or just the lunch
– If you want to join us later in the morning, we can see you in the exhibition or afterwards at lunch – but please let us know you’re coming especially if you want to join us for lunch
– You can also join us for just the gallery visit part of the event if you don’t want to come for lunch afterwards
Book your place
Places for the Social are first come, first served.
Number of places: 11
To book your place, please fill in the form below.
>> Browse more events
>> Browse courses